Friday, September 18, 2020

Vintage Melsky Art - a problem and a solution

What to do with my older paintings? 

Most of my older paintings don't really lend themselves to products very well, but I still want to offer them in my store. Most of the paintings are sold and I don't have large enough file sizes to put on most items. (A lot of my art is from a time period where it wasn't possible to get the large file sizes on the equipment I had at the time.)

I decided to basically put everything I have onto magnets, both old and new. Magnets are small enough so I can use the files I have. They are a fun small gift item that you can put in an envelope with a card, or give instead of a card, as they are only slightly more expensive, but they stay around much longer than a card. With magnets, you don't have the kind of practical issues that you might have with other products. Pretty much everyone has a magnetic surface somewhere in their life to stick things on, right? If you give someone a card, they might stick it somewhere they can look at it for a while and then it either gets tossed or it ends up in a pile or file somewhere.

This is the first one:



I did this painting while living in Toronto, probably around 2005. It was inspired by the street I lived on, which had a coffee and donuts sign, a dj bar, brick buildings, lots of music venues and cats. It might have had ghosts too, but I never saw one. It was incredible to be in Toronto after living by myself in the Mojave desert. I wish I still lived there.

No comments: