Thursday, July 02, 2020

Yesterday I decided to get Adobe software.

Right now I am using three different types of free open-source software to create my art. I usually use Inkscape for designs like flowers, trees, and cats - stuff in the foreground that can be moved around. I use Krita and Gimp mostly to make backgrounds.  The card below has a background I made with a special brush on Krita.




Though I think it might actually look better if it was a plain background.  It is so hard to decide on those types of things.

Back to software, I have been trying out different methods for organizing my images. Right now, they are on several different folders on my hard drive, in various formats, and I use three separate programs to create and edit them. Being organized doesn't come naturally to me, and I've been trying to make a good filing system and keep up with it. I decided that I wanted to store my images online and started looking at places to do it.

Adobe was one of the options that came up because it has cloud storage as part of a package deal including Illustrator and Photoshop.

I realized that I was spending a lot of time and energy trying to tie things together, and it was making me less productive. I'm at the point where I am working on art, design, and related tasks at around the time I'd spend on a full-time job. It's part of my every day to get up and work at my computer. So I think I'm actually at the point where it would help me a lot to have everything in one place.

Also, they have a plugin for Zazzle, so I would be able to create products directly from my computer. It basically skips a step between design and product. I think that will be very helpful. It will be interesting to see if helps me as far as workflow and productivity.

On the downside, I have not spent any money on this business yet, and though I'm not making much I also wasn't losing anything. Now I will likely be in the red for a month or two, or more. I'm also not happy about having to learn new software. But at least I've learned that I'm good at learning software and I hope I'll be able to transition without much interruption. 

I could still do what I need to do on the free software, and if this doesn't work out well for me I'll go back to that or consider other options.

No comments: