Sunday, May 17, 2020

Designing a new path

Since I didn't want to go large and expensive with my paintings, I decided to change two things. One was to learn some type of computer art program and create most of my work that way. The other was to start working on designs that could be printed on products or used as online graphics.

I decided to learn Inkscape,  a graphic and illustration program similar to Adobe Illustrator. Unlike Illustrator is free and open-source. I had seen art made with Inkscape, and I watched a couple of YouTube videos about it. It seemed fairly easy in the videos, and since I am pretty good at picking up programs and experienced with art, I thought I would quickly be able to produce images that were similar in spirit to my paintings.

I discovered is that it was not so easy. I was used to programs designed for manipulating photos and drawing with a stylus. Inkscape has a totally different focus. The most common type of Inkscape art is created by making basic shapes and combining and modifying them. It is kind of like making collages with cut-up paper. This sounds like something that I would take to right away and I was surprised that when I sat down at the computer it was confusing and frustrating to figure out.

However, I am proud to say I didn't give up. I stuck with it. Now it is a year later and I feel really comfortable using it and excited about the designs I'm producing.

One of the first designs that I felt really good about.

No comments: