Saturday, May 02, 2020

New Direction, Same Spirit

It's always been difficult for me to get back into art after an absence. The longer the absence, the harder it is and the longer it takes me. This was the longest time in my adult life I have gone without painting or drawing most days.

experimental tablet painting!
I did work on some creative projects like writing, gardening, and photography, so I did have creativity in my life. But when I tried to sketch out a painting like I used to, I couldn't get into it. I tried a Wacom tablet and various drawing programs. That did not help either. Finally, I started drawing on a regular tablet using a cheap stylus and I started making art on a regular basis again.

I knew I wanted to get back to making an art-based business, but with a different business model than I had before. Selling original paintings is hard work. Each one has to be scanned, listed for sale online, and then stored until they are sold. When they sell, they have to be packaged and shipped. This makes sense if you sell expensive paintings. But when you sell many small paintings, it is not an efficient way to work.

So it looks like an easy answer would be to make larger and more expensive paintings. But I like to work small.






No comments: