Wednesday, June 17, 2020

I took a day off (well, mostly)

I have had a tendency to set ambitious goals for myself. Then I would get burned out, stop meeting the goals, and feel bad about not meeting the goals. That isn't good for productivity.

Now I have adopted a new method. I've started out slow, and then added daily goals one by one.

I also use what I call a buckshot method of goal attainment. That means that on most of the days, I meet most of my goals. If I don't meet a certain goal on a certain day, that is ok. It wasn't a failure.

Right now my daily goals are:
Make art
Post in my blog
Upload finished artwork and list it for sale
Re-organize a small part of my house
Walk/run 5k

How did I do yesterday?

Make art
I drew a few things and sketched some ideas
I scanned some drawings I had done before
Not what I'm aiming for, but some progress.

Post in my blog
Didn't do it. I worked on a blog post that I've been working on for several days. This is an area I need to improve on, and I am. (right now actually) :)

Upload finished artwork and list it for sale
I uploaded something I finished the day before yesterday but didn't list anything for sale.

Reorganize part of my house
I did some reorganizing, but not everything I had planned.
When I say reorganizing part of my house, I mean a part of a room or a cupboard or dresser. I had planned on tidying up the rest of my office/studio, but I only did part of it.

Walk/run 5k
I did it! I didn't feel like it but I made myself do it and I felt better for it.

Unlike before when I had an absolutist attitude, I feel like the day was a success.



No comments: